There is a lot of fear surrounding COVID-19 (Coronavirus), so here is what you need to know:
- The Canadian government has recommended avoiding all non-essential travel outside of Canada. I cancelled my vacation, and it hurt my heart. It’s not because I’m worried about being sick, it’s because I don’t want to carry the virus and promote its spread to others. I’m sure you feel the same!
- If you have traveled anywhere outside of Canada, as of Saturday March 14th at 12:01am, it is recommended that you self-quarantine for 14 days.
- Wash your hands for 20+ seconds with soap and water. Use hand sanitizer when soap and water isn’t available.
- Don’t touch your face if you’re out in public.
- Avoid gatherings of more than 250 people. Social distancing should be practiced when reasonable.
- Sanitize surfaces regularly, including door handles and light switches.
- Eat healthy, with lots of protein and as little sugar as possible. Prioritize your sleep. Talk to your ND about immune supporting supplements.
- Symptoms include fever, cough and difficulty breathing.
- If you have a fever or think you may have contracted the virus, contact Public Health BY PHONE (Ontario: 1-866-797-0000).
- This illness can be dangerous for those who are immunocompromised and in the elderly, as it can cause pneumonia.
- If you are otherwise healthy, you are unlikely to develop a severe illness. You should phone Public Health, stay home, treat yourself like you would with any other flu, and ensure you’re being monitored as per Public Health recommendations.
4. STOCKING UP
- Don’t do it. Shop normally, and only buy what you need.
5. ANXIETY MANAGEMENT
- I understand that this is causing a lot of fear and panic for many people.
- Yes, we are taking immense precautions to prevent this from spreading throughout our community. This means we’re being careful, not that we’re in over our heads.
- If you are young and healthy, do your part to protect others. If you are at risk of more serious outcomes, stay home.
6. FOR MY PATIENTS
- I am offering OPTIONAL video consults in place of in-person consults (note: if you are under quarantine, this is not optional), but I will continue to be in the office if you would like to see me in person. If you have an appointment already booked, you’ll receive an email from me soon.
- I will continue to monitor our Government recommendations, and I will act with an abundance of caution to protect my patients.