Anyone who has been my patient knows I’m OBSESSED with making sure you’re getting enough protein in your day. Protein bites, bars, balls, bowls… you name it… if it’s high in protein and low in sugar, I’m a big fan!
Here’s my recipe for super easy-to-make and ultra-yummy protein bites that pack a mean 6g of protein per ball. They’re gluten-free, vegan, low in sugar, and are easily customizable to keep you looking forward to enjoying these tasty treats!
- 2 scoops of vegan protein powder (I used VegaLite Vanilla by Thorne in this batch)
- 1/2 cup almond butter
- 1/4 cup diced raw almonds (I buy them whole and smash them up in my food processor)
- 2 tbsp hemp hearts
- 2 tbsp unsweetened coconut flakes
- 2 tbsp (or to desired consistency) almond milk or other non-dairy liquid
TIP: Switch it up!
- Use various nut butters like cashew, peanut, or pumpkinseed
- Switch up coconut for cacao nibs, chopped dates, or dried fruit
- Add 1/4 – 1/2 tsp of cinnamon, vanilla extract, cocoa powder, or ground coffee beans
- Substitute cashews, macadamia nuts, peanuts, etc. for almonds
- Use a chocolate flavoured protein powder (chocolate+peanut butter / chocolate+coffee are big hits at our house)
Combine all ingredients in a bowl until evenly mixed. You may need to add more nut butter or dairy-free liquid to achieve desired consistency; it’s not an exact science :). Roll into balls. Keep refrigerated and enjoy for up to 1 week.
TIP: Make them accessible!
Divvy up into portion sizes of 2-4 for easy grab-and-go snacks. Stash a few in the fridge at work so you always have a healthy snack to keep your energy up at work.